Friday, August 15, 2008

Rio Manamo

Recently, my friend Tony of the British cruising sailboat S/V Tarnimara and I returned from a 20 day cruise exploring about 175 miles of tropical rivers and canos in Eastern Venezuela's Rio Orinoco Delta. The indigenous people of the Delta are the Waro Indians, and their current lifestyle and customs bridge about three centuries. The area is quite remote, and we had to be completely independent with respect to fuel, water, and supplies. The majority of our exploration was done in the dinghy, working our way up narrow canos through the middle of the jungle. Here is some of what we saw and did on the Rio Pedernales and the Rio Manamo:














































































































































































































5 comments:

RachAnn said...

Hey ! I'm from Trinidad :) These pictures are great, what kind of camera did you use to take them ?

Unknown said...

Absolutely fascinating photos! Sometimes I wish life were that simple. Jamie and I are living in a hotel with the girls and dog, 8 suitcases, 3 carry-ons and the dog kennel until the war in Georgia is over. We were 2 days away from flying to Tbilisi when this mess started. Of course, it could be worse. . . I could have had to pack the girls and dog up (Jamie stays here until December) in the car and drive across the border to Yerevan with 100 of my closest friends!

Alisa

Mystery said...

Hi Tom.. this is Laurie. I received your emails and hoping to hear back from you soon ... since I do not have your email (they were blocked by yahoo). My personal email is:

passion2seek@aol.com

Unknown said...

I enjoyed seeing your excellent photos of Chacachacare, which brought back memories of living there as a child. We lived in what is shown as the nunnery, possibly after we left around 1956/57.

I have a photo of myself conducting school for my toys on the veranda. We enjoyed swimming by the boathouse, but my brother was unlucky enough to get a fishhook in his finger. It is sad to see the deterioration, but thanks for the memories.

I was the youngest boarder at the Holy Name Convent in Port of Spain, traveling back and forth by boat for the weekend. I doubt anyone in the area still remembers my parents, Lawrence and Gladys Burnham, but, if so, I would love to hear from them. I can be reached at kpw2911@yahoo.com.

Unknown said...

hi every one male here from trinidad really wana meet a friend male or female,or a couple who lives in pedernales.guira or tucopita who i can chat wit ,wana know more about these places mail me trinimale31@yah